From Church Street to Palmetto Street
The Church of God in Florence began prior to May 1944 from a prayer meeting held in the home of J. Gary Byrd on Church Street. He held weekly services out of his home for approximately one year. A store-front building on east Evans Street was rented and used for church services for 2 years.
In early 1944, two lots were purchased and a tent was erected on the property where services were held for about one year. The church was organized and set in order on May 28th by State Overseer L.W. McIntyre with 12 people joining. In 1945 the church building was started and completed in the spring and Reverend Frank Smith came to pastor in August. In 1946 Florence became a district church.
Between the years of 1947–1969 the church continued to expand. The church purchased two additional lots where a fellowship hall was built by E. O. Tanner. The bus ministry was started by James Starling and C.G. Case, a radio broadcast was held for a short time and an education building was completed.
God continued to bless the church for many years to come starting in 1970 when construction began on the new sanctuary building, our first youth director was hired, and additional property bought. By 1992, the church was debt free and in 1994 property was purchased on West Palmetto Street for relocation. Under the direction of Pastor Furman H. Bryant the new sanctuary was built in 1996 in our current location.
From 1998 to August of 2012 the church was blessed under the leadership of Pastor V.R. LeBuhn with many advancements in ministry. The church experienced tremendous growth, and the average attendance grew from approximately 250 to 700. A new family education building was constructed and the parking lot was expanded twice. Monday Nite Fire Youth service was established in 2002, and has continued to grow.
In September of 2012, Pastor Brad Lewis became senior pastor, and continues with a commitment to excellence, and has plans for expanding the ministry to our community and the world.